Monday, April 2, 2012

Stuffed Artichokes

The Recipe
This is a old family recipe that I'm sure my grand mother got somewhere else. However I always looked forward to Momma making these once a year. They are {fattening} delicious.


Ingredients:
4 - Artichokes
1 Cup - Parmesan Cheese
3.5 - Sticks of Margarine
1/3 Cup - Vegetable Oil
4 Cups - Italian Bread Crumbs
1 tsp - salt

How to prepare:
Before anything, you want to cut of the bottom stems of the artichoke to where it can sit by itself. Then wash them without pulling the leaving apart, drain well. Melt your margarine. Add your Italian bread crumbs & cheese together with your margarine. {Should be moist, not soupy}. Stuff as many leaves using 1 tsp of your mixture. Make sure you push bread crumbs down as best as possible.









Next you find a large pot - fill with 3 inches of water, your oil & your salt & place your artichokes in the pot. Bring water to boil {on high} & then cover and reduce to medium.
Cook for two hours. {Or until the leaves will just pull off very easily. Should not have to tug.



I had to use two pots. A smaller pot for just one artichoke. The one by itself cooked for 2 hours, however the other three I cooked for 3 hours.



You do not eat the leaves itself, however you bite down on the the leaf and pull with your teeth.
You'll love it.

You can thank  me later!

10 comments:

Michelle said...

Yum I need to make this!

Pineapples and Pickles said...

This looks awesome!

Rebekah said...

These sound amazing! We've only grilled our artichokes but I'm going to have to try this.

aubrey kinch said...

You're not helping my training for the 10k with these kinds of posts!! I am a sucker for Artichokes.

It's ironic I'm going to the grocery store after work today. God is telling me I better make these.

I blame you! ;)

Unknown said...

Those look delicious!
Funny story...we got some spinach and artichoke dip the other day and my daughter made a face and we said do you even know what artichokes are? She says yes...they are fish eyes! LOL...and she is 16!

ashley said...

these sound delicious and I'm going to make them on cheat day!

Kelly B. said...

I LOVE these, my mom used to make them all the time and now I do. However, I don't have the patience for a 2 hour boil- so we use the quicker way:

Same prep and everything, then stand the artichoke up in a bowl with about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom, cover it all with seran wrap so the bowl is sealed, and microwave it for 11 minutes. For the impatient artichoke connoisseur.

Anonymous said...

Artichokes...can't say I've ever tried one of those in my 25 years. I do love my veggies, might have to make it happen now!

Sarah said...

YUMMM!!!

Brae said...

omg these are delicious!! i love them and now i want one!!